1. Course Duration
- D. programme shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years.
- Extension beyond the above limits will be governed by the relevant clauses as stipulated in the Statute/Ordinance of the University.
- The women candidates and Persons with Disability (more than 40% disability) may be allowed a relaxation of two years for Ph.D. in the maximum duration. In addition, the women candidates may be provided Maternity Leave/Child Care Leave once in the entire duration of Ph.D. programme for up to 240 days.
2. Minimum Qualifications for Admission
- Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September, 1991. The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks without including the grace mark procedures.
- Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions, shall be eligible for admission to Ph.D. programme.
- The applicants who have cleared the entrance test with 50% score as qualifying marks are required to do a presentation on the preliminary research proposal with a statement of the research problem and a literature survey which demonstrates that the research topic is unexplored and an original scholarly contribution can be made on the same.
3. Eligibility Conditions for Admission
- It is desirable that the applicants, who possess minimum prescribed qualifications for admission to Ph.D. Programme, should have excellent academic/professional track record in the relevant discipline.
- The applicant for part-time Ph.D. should:
- Prove to the satisfaction of Doctoral Research Committee (DRC) that his official duties permit him to devote sufficient time to research.
- Ensure that facilities for pursuing research are available at his place of work in the chosen field of research, where required.
4. Number of Seats
||International Trade Law
||International Environmental Law
||Human Resource Management
Note: The suitability of topic and eligibility of candidate will be determined by availability of Supervisor/research facility/appropriateness of research proposal to be accepted by the University.
5. Category of Scholars
Scholars can be registered full time or on part time basis
- A full time scholar has to attend the University regularly and will be subject to the prescribed attendance rules of the University.
- Professionally employed personnel may be allowed to pursue Ph.D. on part-time bases. Such candidates are required to submit a ‘No Objection Certificate’ from their parent organization/department/employer stating that he/she is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis and that his/her duties permit him/her to devote sufficient time for research. Part Time Scholars will have to attend the classes for assigned course-work as per the rules of the University/UGC.
6. Course Work
- Registered Full-time and Part-time Ph.D., candidates shall undertake course work of one semester in the University within one year from the date of provisional registration, failing which his/her registration shall be cancelled.
- The credit assigned to the Ph.D. course work shall be a minimum of 08 credits and a maximum of 16 credits.
- The course work shall be treated as prerequisite for Ph.D. preparation.
- Additionally, the Research Advisory Committee may prescribe the course(s) to the research scholar.
- Candidates already holding M. Phil. degree and admitted to the Ph.D. programme, or those who have already completed the course work in M.Phil. and have been permitted to proceed to the Ph.D. in integrated course, may be exempted by the University from the Ph.D. course work. All other candidates admitted to the Ph.D. programme shall be required to complete the Ph.D. course work prescribed by the University.
- A Ph.D. scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent grade in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade/CGPA in a point scale) in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the programme and submit the dissertation/thesis.
7. Selection Process, Date of Written Examination and Presentation
Selection process will be conducted and the process shall consist of:
- Admission Test (UGC NET/JRF/SLET/MPHIL qualified candidates will be exempted)
- Online Presentation on the proposed research before the Departmental Research Committee (DRC)
The detailed admission process will be as follows:
- GMU Admission Test (GPAT) 2022
- Declaration of Admission Test Result
- Presentation to DRC
- Final declaration of Provisional Selection List for Admission to Ph.D. Degree Programme
8. Format of Entrance Test & Presentation
||Multiple Choice Questions (100 Questions)
||Power Point Presentation
Paper I: Research Methodology & English (50 Questions)
Paper II: Subject Awareness
Domain Knowledge (50 Questions)
- Topic of Research
- Why research on topic?
- Proposed Research Objectives
- Literature Review done (if any)
- Intended outcome of the research
9. Fee Structure for the Academic Year 2022-23
| Fee Structure for Ph.D. Degree Programme
|Non-Refundable Security Deposit/Alumni Fund
|Total (one time)
|Semester Fee – NRI & Foreign National
Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (Per
|Examination Fee (Per Semester)
|Academic Facility Fee (Library, Computer, Internet, Training, etc.) (Per Annum)
|Hall of Residence, Canteen and other related Fees (facility not provided during vacation period, rooms are provided on sharing basis)** If applicable (Per Annum)
|Extra-Curricular, Adventure, Sports and Gymnasium, Social and Cultural Activities, Welfare Fee (Per Annum)
|Total Fees For Foreign Student
||4000 USD +
|4000 USD +
|*Subject to change as per the decision of the Finance Committee/ Executive Council of the University.
|**The Hall of Residence, Canteen and other related Fees is for 11 months only.
10. Admission Form and Fees Payment
The candidates who are interested in seeking admission to the Ph.D. Programme can apply directly by filling the online admission form. Before filling the form, kindly make the payment first as the transaction id is required to be shared while filling the application form.
Link for the admission application form:
The hard copy of the filled-in admission form along with all the relevant certificates shall reach the University through post/courier latest by Thursday, 04 August, 2022. The Application fee INR 4,000/- (non-refundable) shall be made through the following link: –
For any query, kindly mail to firstname.lastname@example.org